Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Numbers Numbers & Oprah Scoop

Ok, so we got our OFFICIAL #'s from AGCI today, but I know that they aren't necessarily accurate because there were some referrals given out this week that aren't reflected in the #'s we were given. So...the #'s that we were given are #15 for a girl and #11 for a boy. I know that there were 3 girl referrals given out and 1 boy referral given out this week. They do not make the change in the #'s until the referrals are officially accepted and that takes a few days. So - I think we are #12 for a girl and #10 for a boy. I'm very excited that we are close to being a single digit. I don't know why, but in my head that is a BIG deal!! So, when I think we are a single # - I will be doing a little happy dance here in WI.

Ok, onto my Oprah news. I heard back from the staff today and got the dillio. So, the first thing everyone keeps asking me is how in the world did you get tickets. I've tried calling for years and have also sent emails - nothing worked. Then Monday night I just thought I would try again, so I sent a little email and badabingbadaboom....THEY CALLED ON TUESDAY!! The other popular question has been who are you taking. Now, I know many people that would love to go, but there are only 3 other tickets. My friend Jenna was a given. We've always had a pact that we would take eachother if we got tickets. Then of course I have to bring my mom - cause well she's my MOM. Then there was the last and final ticket.... I asked Tim if he was interested. Now it's not something he would necessarily admit, but yes he does watch Oprah with me. No, not everyday but probably twice a week. He said that he would feel bad going when he knows that my friend Debra is a huge fan. He said that she would appreciate the ticket way more than he would. So...there you have it. That's my little Oprah Show crew. The show is being taped on Friday. We have to be there no later than 11am (but people stand in line early) and will be there until 4pm. Ok - you want to know the topic, right? Well, it's not the IDEAL topic, but hey I'll take it. It's a show called "Can you afford it" with Suzie Orman. I mean I guess it could be worse...it could be one of the book club shows or a show on erectile dysfunction. You laugh, but that would be my luck. I actually like Suzie Orman, yes sometimes she can be quite mean...but I like how she is very direct. And I'm sorry but if you are going to go on National TV and tell the world that you have $90k in credit card debt and act surprised that you need to sell your house...then you need some harsh reality. Now, I just need to figure out what to wear! They said no beige or white. They told me that they would tell us the air date on Friday, so I'll let you all know when I find that out. I'm off to rummage through my closet.....

9 comments:

Kristi J said...

i'm so excited for you...My dream is to go on Oprah before I die...The Dr. Phil show emailed last week interested in hearing about my sisters and I adopting from Ethiopia...They said they take lots of "info" from people so don't get excited, but we thought it was neat regardless...Still want to go on Oprah!!! Have fun, kj

Margaret and Cordel said...

That is so exciting that you are so close to the end of waiting for your referral! Woohoo!!

Erin said...

Hi Dawn, I was wrong about having another name on the boys list to give you. The extra spot I had figured out was Stacy who is right behind me on the girls (I'm sure you already figured that out).
Erin

Margaret and Cordel said...

Hi Dawn:

Well, there are not a lot of families in the Milwaukee/Racine area with children from Ethiopia, but there is a HUGE crowd near madison and then more southwest. I am not sure if you have a yahoo account, but if you do not, you should get one and then join the ethiopian groups on Yahoo groups. I have gotten to know so many people through there!! Also, I am always up for playdates, etc :) I would LOVE to see an ongoing Ethiopian family group in this area and I am more then willing to help with that if you are interested as well.

Anonymous said...

I am SOOO EXCITED for you!! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to go on Oprah. even though she rubs me wrong on certain things, in general i really enjoy her show and *most* of the topics. and i really like Suzie Orman!! i can't wait to hear how it was!!

Maria and Family said...

I would LOVE to meet Oprah. She truly is amazing. Huge Congrats on your new number and the tickets! Maria

Amy and Rob said...

Hello there. I am Amy, from the blog that you recently found. My husband and I are adopting from Ethiopia, as you know, and are from Milwaukee. I was born and raised in Racine for the most part, and most of my mother's family still lives there.

We're always excited to hear about other families that are on the same path as us.

I hope that you are dealing well with this part of the wait... I know it is filled with ups and downs.

I'll be excited to hear of your referral!

The Gresham Clan said...

I saw the Oprah show (at least I think I was watching the right one:) ) you were on and kept looking for you :)! Did you have a blast?

Kristi J said...

Ok, so I'm waiting....post about Oprah, kj