Tuesday, February 10, 2009

From Ashes to Africa



Ok peeps - you have to read this book! From Ashes to Africa. I follow the Bottomly's blog - they are actually one of the first families that I started to blog stalk when Tim and I were thinking of adopting early last year. I loved following their blog because well Amy just seems so down to earth and someone I could connect with and well just hang out with. And their son Silas is so stinking cute. ANYWAYS... they wrote a book about their story and adoption. I can relate to them with a lot of things. Tim and I struggled with infertility and the burdens that come with it - so I appreciate their honesty in the book so much. I wish more people felt comfortable being open and honest with infertility because nobody wants to talk about it and well it NEEDS to be talked about. While reading the book I said "me too!" so many times. So, I highly recommend the book... and it's not just a story of infertility... it's an awesome adoption story too. So, just trust me and go get yourself a book ... right now!
And I just have to put a quote from the book in here because I had these exact same thoughts.
"Countless times after I told people about our plans to adopt, they would offer me their congratulations-slash-consolations by telling me stories of couple they knew who had infertility problems and decided to adopt, and then soon after adopting, surprise surprise, they got pregnant.... What I wanted to tell these people was that adoption had become my dream. Adoption was no longer Plan B. It was Plan A."
So there were countless parts in the book where I had the exact same feelings, but that one stuck out to me a lot because well I guess it still bothers me... not a lot. Just a little...
So, now... go get the book!

4 comments:

Trendy Mindy said...

Hi Dawn - I have been following you guys for awhile now :) and I just had to comment today.
It is plan a for us too - one day it will happen for us - we just can't start right now b/c of finances but it will happen!! I am praying that you pass court the first time -Love mindy

Tamara B said...

Hi there Dawn. I'm just beginning to "blog stalk" people as you so nicely put it. I find myself so hungry for information on what different people are going through. Each agency can make themselves appear to be so perfect and I understand that they're not.

We're on a little different journey than your family... we've felt let to adopt out of obedience even though I've had two of my own. I know that you said you perfectly related to the book because of your situation but do you think it would be a great read from my shoes? Feel free to stop by my blog and leave me a comment.

Maria and Family said...

Yup. Infertilty sucks. Once I knew God meant for us to adopt our 3rd and 4th child I didnt even care about getting pregnant anymore. This is bigger then that and so wonderful. I have the book and am about 1/2 thru :)

Tisha Alexander said...

Dang girl you are persuasive... I ordered it today!! :) I am looking forward to reading it.