Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day 10 Years Ago

For those that don't know, Tim and I are high school sweethearts. In the fall of '98 Tim went off to college 6 hours away in Minneapolis. He was diagnosed his first week of college with Hodgkins Lymphoma. Nice way to start off your college experience, eh? He struggled his first year in MN. He was sick... a lot. The chemo took a toll on him, but the doctors were confident that it was going to be curable. It was very difficult to be so far away from eachother while he was going through all of that. He finished his radiation in May of '99 just in time to come back home and take me to my senior prom. He has been cancer free ever since - almost 10 years!

Here is a picture of us on Valentine's Day 10 years ago. Tim came home and took me to my Winter Formal dance at school.




This is Christmas '98


I hope you all had a nice Valentine's Day!! I got a wonderful gift from Tim that I'll post about later! :)

10 comments:

jody said...

nice blue dress....i really hope you'll wear it on the plane :) haha, i had one very similar but it was SHORT. we got married in 1998!!! but i did not wear my blue dress for that.... so glad God had other plans for tim-here's to lots more "10 years" for you 2!!!!! (soon to be THREE!!)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

WOW. How wonderful to be married to your high school sweetheart. how scary about his lymphoma. i'm so glad he is ok and now healthy.

Anonymous said...

My goodness... you look like a baby! Not that you still don't, but... are you sure this was High School and not 8th grade graduation? :)

Mandy said...

That had to be so tough. Do you think going through that brought you closer?
And, look where you are now. So awesome!

Kristi J said...

I have a friend that just beat the same thing recentely...Crazy story: She was 30 weeks pregnant when they diagnosed her, had to deliver baby prematurely so she could start treatment...crazy but she has beaten it too..she's now cancer free as well...This was just last year for her!! You guys are adorable and look like babies...too fun, kristi

Anonymous said...

WOW!! I love stories about high school sweethearts....it just goes to show that first loves CAN be together forever!!! :)

Paul and DeeDee said...

I hope so too! It seems like so many boys went out and I am hoping a couple girl referrals went out as well....maybe I will know on friday when the bi-weekly comes out....that's this week right?

Troy said...

sorry for the hefty bag ... it was a purchase at Target and well, yeah, didn't even notice ... will do better next time :)

I don't dare post 10 year old pics of myself out of pure humiliation. PRAISE GOD for cancer free!

Robin said...

Dawn,
Wow! Our stories have similarities!! I also married my high school sweetheart. Met him when I was 16, and we have been together ever since! We just celebrated our 23rd wedding anniversary on Valentine's Day:-)
Also, my husband is a Hodgkin's Disease survivor. He was diagnosed in 1994, and had chemo and radiation. Finished it all up in 1995, and has been cancer free ever since!YEAH!
Praying for your journey to your son to be smooth and uneventful! So sorry about all of the shots you had to have :-( I don't like to get them either, however, I am a nurse, and giving them to others doesn't hurt "me" a bit !!LOL!
Peace and blessings,
Robin
waiting for Y in Guatemala