Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Update on Jaxson & Ethiopian Dinner

I want to start off by sharing a WONDERFUL email I got from Kimmie today. TOTALLY made my day!!

We did see your son...he is so tiny and perfect! We popped in to the babies room a few times and your little one was all cozy tucked into his little basket (a little Moses basket) sleeping contentedly. He has beautiful features, though we didn't see him with his eyes wide open. How wonderful that you got a referral for such a wee little man...he looked very healthy, for such a new man to this world! He is being well taken care of, those special mom's carry the title of 'special' for a good reason...they really pour themselves out for all of these kids. There is much love there, excellent care and soon you will see it for yourself. Have peace and know that God is holding your son in His arms for you, until you can fully hold him in your own.

How sweet was that?! I cried when I get her email. We don't receive much updates (if any) between referral and right before travel, so I cherish ANY piece of information we can get our hands on!!

Ok, then tonight we had plans to go to an Ethiopian restuarant. I was quite nervous... ok not nervous I was scurred. Yes... scurred. I am picky.... every mom's worst nightmare. I don't like trying new things at all and like to stick to my little ole' chicken and pasta. Safe and yummy. So, the thought of Ethiopian food was well... not so appealing, but I thought I'd be a trooper and give it a shot. Everyone is saying how WONDERFUL it is... can't be that bad, right? Uhhh...yeah... ok... sorry, but I couldn't even try it. Well, I had some chicken (and I use the word "some" loosely). I just couldn't do it. It looked like mushy... pureed.... pastey.... chunky... stuff. I totally wimped out. Everyone else did really good and said it was "alright and good", I just watched them. So, sorry Jaxson but your Mom won't be eating traditional Ethiopian food with you. Thank goodness Tim likes it - one of us needs to!

So, here are some pictures. The group is Tim and I and one of my best friends Jenna. Then my mom & dad. And our friend Petah is on the end. Ok...his real name is Peter, but he's from the UK so he's not Peter... he's Petah in my lovely english accent.


and there it is folks...
this is me thinking "what in the H-E-double hockey sticks did I get myself into?!"
And sorry to admit it, but this was my dinner. No shame people. No shame.

15 comments:

neely said...

what a fun update! I need to get one of those from the next travel group. And Ethiopian food is definitely about picking the right dish...I took a cooking class and we made only vegetarian dishes and they were really yummy. Don't give up yet!

Sarah said...

You crack me up!

My problem won't be trying the food. My problem will be if anyone expects me to MAKE the food.

But if we do travel together, I will be happy to accompany you to the Italian restaurant down the street. From what I hear, its petty good. Italian in Ethiopia. Hmmm.

Now where is our court date already?!

jody said...

hahaha-make sure you pack extra granola bars wehn we travekl-hahahaha. i got your text, and then promptly fell asleep on the couch. yup, it was that, boring. no just kidding, i was super tired and just conked last night. and i have heard the italian food in ETH is AWESOME so don't despair, pasta and pizza are right around the corner!!

Lauren said...

So Funny! I laughed when I saw the picture of the Wendy's bag. I love it. I lived in Guatemala for 6 months years ago and I ate MickyD's nearly everyday. You gotta do what you gotta do:)

Paul and DeeDee said...

awww! It's ok, I do think that Ethiopian food takes some getting used to. Amy Bottomly told me injera looked like skin and the first time I had it that was all I could think of! It took a lot for me to try it but in the end I loved it.....Maybe one day you will make it to that point!

jody said...

oh i LOVE cheez-its!! and we watched on "Unwrapped" the other day how they are made-there was billions of them, i told pat i think that is what heaven will look like...

The Gresham Clan said...

Hilarious!! I especially love the picture of the Wendy's bag at the end. (Don't worry they have pasta at the Union Hotel in Ethiopia :) )!

Brian and Autumn said...

The first time we hit up Ethiopian food we ended up going to the In and Out drive thru for me :)

Jess & Matt said...

Dawn, You are too funny. Did you try the Honey wine? I thought it was good, almost too good. Matt tried the beer there and it wasn't too bad either. We both loved the Ethiopian gentleman that owns that restaurant and thought he was very nice and helpful. My kids once again loved the fact that they could eat with their hands there and also liked the food. Maybe you can see if they have a Wendys in Addis Ababa?? Or bring freeze dried chicken and pasta

Anonymous said...

Dawn, you are so awesome!! I freaked the first time I saw it, but when I tasted it...YUMMY!!! Where did you go to eat? And I am so glad to hear that your son is doing so well and that you were able to get an update!!!

Kristi J said...

Love, love, love the email update...so sweet...and don't worry, my hubby and I weren't fond either of our Eth food when we went for my b-day....and I'm not picky at all..I'll eat anything...well anything but mush..I couldn't do the texture..made me gag...kristi

Troy said...

Thank you for your comment :)

BTW, we are going to an Ethiopian restaurant on Friday with another couple from our small group ... it should be a fun (and interesting) experience ... I already told them we have a Steak 'n Shake as a backup if needed :)

Kristi J said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, still nothing :( kj

Maria and Family said...

Oh boy...I fear I will be surviving on protein bars and bags of cranberries!! Yikes...

Kristin said...

Have no shame! I too, fear change. My husband LOVES trying new food and I am so timid. Besides, what's better than fries and a frosty? Nothing, I say.